About the Augmentative Communication Department
The Augmentative Communication department provides the collaborative support necessary to identify, implement, and integrate communication systems by increasing self-expression to promote safety, self- advocacy and independence in the educational setting. A primary objective of the department is to improve development of communication skills to increase academic achievement, social-communication and positive post-secondary outcomes.
Benefits to Student Instruction
- Improves language development
- Augments communication and can improve oral speech of AAC users
- Increases quality of work, school, and life, in general
- Proven to have positive impact on both language development and speech development
- Positive outcomes for language development and literacy
- Supports self expression in social situations
- AAC users can increase developmental skills such as vocabulary, length of sentence, syntax, and pragmatic skills
- Department provides continual development and responsibility for district wide training on software, implementation, and assistive technology through the SETT framework (joyzabala.com) and consultations to support students in meeting IEP goals/objectives.