School-level MTSS implementation is more successful when it's supported by district- and state-level systems. By supporting multiple schools in the same area, districts and state create a shared vision, language, and experience that makes everyone more effective.
Within a tiered system at both the district and school levels, it is important that there is a consideration and planning around six core, defining MTSS features:
- Team-based leadership and coordination
- Evaluation and implementation fidelity
- Continuum of evidence-based practices
- Continuous data-based progress monitoring and decision-making
- Comprehensive universal screening
- On-going professional development, including coaching with local content expertise