Universal Summer SupportsPosted by Dr. Elizabeth Keenan on 3/1/2021
Special School District of St. Louis County will be providing Universal Summer Supports (USS) during the summer of 2021. These enrichment activities are intended to augment the educational experience of children in grades K-12 with disabilities whose typical learning opportunities were impacted by unexpected school closures due to COVID-19.
What are Universal Summer Supports (USS)?
- USS will provide instructional enrichment activities.
- Activities will focus on literacy, numeracy, and social/emotional development.
- Supervision and activities will be supported by activities staff with support from activity directors.
- Children will participate in a variety of activities throughout the USS schedule. The Individualized Education Program (IEP) may serve as a guide for the activities.
- There is no cost to the families of students who receive services from SSD.
Who is eligible for the USS?
- USS is for all students who attend an SSD-operated building and/or receive SSD services in the partner districts where they live.
When is the USS?
- For SSD buildings and programs, it is from June 7, 2021, to July 1, 2021. The schedule will be Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. or 12:30-3:30 p.m.
- For students in SSD’s technical education programs, USS will run from June 7, 2021, to July 1, 2021. The schedule will be Monday through Thursday from 8:30-11:30 a.m.
- Times and locations may vary in the partner districts due to building schedules.
- This is a one-time offering for the summer of 2021 only.
Where is the USS being provided?
- Students who attend an SSD building will receive USS supports in their assigned building.
- For students who attend their partner district schools, locations may vary due to building schedules.
- These supports will only be provided in person. There will be no virtual option for this program.
Will the USS provide transportation?
- For those students who qualify for transportation during the typical school year, transportation will be provided.
- Students who do not qualify for transportation will have to provide their own transportation.
Does USS replace Extended School Year (ESY)?
- No. ESY services are an IEP team decision and will be provided from June 7, 2021, to July 1, 2021. The ESY schedule will be Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to noon in our SSD buildings and programs.
- Students receiving ESY services in their partner district will follow that district’s schedule. Special education directors will continue to work with liaisons to finalize the summer calendar.
- We will be working with partner district liaisons to collaborate on existing summer programs to see how USS will complement what is already offered in June.
- Families will receive a survey in January to see if they would be interested in participating in the program.
- Based on these numbers, SSD will begin hiring staff.
- SSD will be working with partner districts to discuss locations and times.
- Families will receive ongoing communication as the program is finalized.