- North Technical High School
Upcoming Events with FACE
August 31, 2022 - Family and Community Engagement (FACE) is geared up for the first semester of 2022-23 with some great events for our SSD families. All events are free of charge and open to SSD families and community members.
Family Leadership Institute
Applications are now being accepted for the Fall 2022 Family Leadership Institute (FLI). Held in-person over four days (Oct. 12, 19, 26, and Nov. 2), attendees will have the opportunity to build an understanding of future planning and problem-solving utilizing the Charting the LifeCourse tools, learn to effectively participate in their student’s education, collaborate with other families and school personnel, and discover new resources. Register for the Family Leadership Institute online or learn more on FACE’s website. Dinner will be provided for participants.
FACE hosts several virtual workshops during each semester. The workshops cover a variety of topics and change each semester based on interest.
- IEP & Effective Communication (Sept. 21, 2022, 6-8 PM): Learn more about the IEP process, specific components of an IEP, and how to use Charting the LifeCourse to prepare for an IEP meeting.
- Strategies to Improve Students’ Executive Functioning (Sept. 28, 2022, 6-8 PM): Learn strategies to improve your student’s executive functioning, the specifics of executive functioning, and actionable strategies to navigate the school year with less stress and more success.
- Introduction to Charting the LifeCourse Framework - 3 Part Series (Oct. 4, 11, 18, 11:30 AM-Noon): Learn all about Charting the LifeCourse, including the history of the framework and how it can provide a systematic plan for the future.
- Assistive Technology Workshop (Dec. 13, 2022, 11:30 AM-12:30 PM) - SSD Assistive Technology (AT) Specialist Kim White will share assistive technology information, how to request an SSD AT consultation, and provide examples of low- and high-tech AT options that can be implemented at home and school.
New this year, representatives from SSD’s community partners will be available to provide resources, information and support to families during Hub Huddles. All Hub Huddles will be hosted at the Family Resource Hub (located inside North Technical High School).
- Community Action Agency of St. Louis County (CAASTL) will provide additional support and access to resources that promote healthy families and a thriving community. Families can learn about case management, utility and rental assistance, financial education, weatherization, program development, and education activities.
- Higher Education Consortium (HEC) can provide families with information to increase their knowledge about education, career, and workforce planning or transitioning. HEC services are available to high school students or anyone over the age of 19.
For more information, please view the Hub Huddle flyer.
Family Cafes are a new installment this year that allow families to lead the conversation. Facilitated by a FACE team-member, the cafes provide parents and caregivers a safe and welcoming space to connect and learn from each other. Family Cafes are centered on the Strengthening Families Protective Factors of resilience, relationships, knowledge, support, and communication. Interpreters can be provided for these events, but must be scheduled in advance by contacting a FACE representative. Additional information can be found on the Family Cafe flyer. RSVP for the Family Cafes.
For questions about these events or other FACE happenings, please visit www.ssdmo.org/face or email a FACE representative at email@example.com.