- Litzsinger School
- 2021-22 News
SSD Celebrates Pride Month
June 1, 2022 - Special School District is committed to creating a safe, caring, and respectful environment for all students, families, and staff. During the month of June, SSD celebrates and recognizes Pride Month and the impact and valuable contributions of the LGBTQ+ community across America.
SSD strives to be a safe haven for all students, including those who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer/questioning (LGBTQ+). The Equity Framework acts as a guiding document to focus SSD’s practices of equity throughout the District and to identify and address the individualized approaches needed for student success. The Framework includes the following professional learning opportunities for staff within the 2022-23 school year:
- Sexual Orientation and Gender: Explore equity in terms of sexual orientation, gender, and traditional gender roles.
- Allyship (2-Part Workshop): Understand the purpose of allyships and how to develop/practice them.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Identifying the differences between diversity and inclusion and how each contributes to a sense of belonging.
- Intersectionality: Discern how different social systems interact with issues (like class, race, sexuality, globalization, ageism, etc.) and explore how different social systems view these issues.
The below resources are available within St. Louis County and the surrounding areas:
- LGBT National Help Center - serves the LGBTQ+ community by providing free & confidential peer support and local resources
- PFLAG St. Louis - a social support group for parents of children of any age who identify as LGBT, including transgender or gender independent children
- Metro Trans Umbrella Group - resource for transgender, queer, non-binary, androgynous, and intersex people ages 18+ and their families
- The Trevor Project - online instant messaging, text line, social networking site, and online resources for youth
- Youth in Need - call the St. Louis County Youth Connection Hotline at 314-628-2929
- Washington University Transgender Care Center - safe, affirming space providing all-encompassing care to kids and young adults who identify as LGBTQ+
- LGBT Hotline - one-on-one peer support chat
- Pinwheels - a network of families embracing gender creativity, offers monthly support groups
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - call 800-273-8255, or text “START” to 741741
- St. Louis County Library Pride Month Celebrations - SLCL will be hosting a wide variety of events for all ages throughout the month of June at locations across the county
At the June 14, 2022 Board of Education meeting, the Board read a proclamation in support of Pride Month.