Feb. 10, 2021 – Strategic Plan Process
Posted by Dr. Elizabeth Keenan on 2/10/2021
SSD is currently in the process of developing a new strategic plan for the District. This process enables the district to make a pattern of decisions to determine our purpose, priorities, and goals to move forward. The outcomes will define the activities we will pursue, the type of organization we intend to be, and the actions we will take to make this happen.
What is strategic planning?
A deliberate, disciplined effort to produce a strategy that results in actions that shape:
- What the District is
- What the District does
- Why the District does it
- What the District will do in the future
What is the process SSD is using?
- We asked ourselves four questions:
- Where we are now?
- Where do we want to be?
- How will we get there?
- How will we know when we are there?
- We contracted with an outside agency to conduct focus groups with teachers, paraprofessionals, parents, and partner district representatives.
- We completed an internal environmental scan by reviewing:
- Data on recruiting, retention, and vacancies
- Engagement/climate surveys
- Organizational review
- Facilities assessments
- Student outcome data
- We completed a SWOT Analysis (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities for Improvement, and Threats).
- We completed a review of external factors, such as legislation and economic and demographic factors.
Based on all of the information, we have identified strategic priorities and goals for the District to move forward.
Who is involved in the process?
- Six workgroups focusing on finance, operations, facilities, human resources, communications, and student performance
- A steering committee to review and analyze workgroup findings
- The combined workgroups and steering committee represent employee groups, all SSD departments, the SSD Board of Education, and parents.
- Strategic priorities and goals will be presented to the SSD Board of Education for approval.
- Small groups, including steering committee members and workgroup members, will develop strategies and action steps to complete the plan.
- The final plan will be presented to the SSD Board of Education and then the SSD Governing Council for approval.